Friday, August 26, 2011

The Magician


Hey everybody! Come over! Bring snacks! I have a magician living with me now!

This dog has to be a magician....not even the force can explain this dog. First of all, he is getting big, fast. I got him less than 3 weeks ago and he is massive. I keep telling him that if he keeps growing like he is, he won't get as much cute little puppy attention.

The vet said that he was going to be big, but I really didn't see it happening so fast. I think there is some kind of steroid in the Puppy Cheetos I'm giving him.

His second trick is called inhaling food. This dog is a living garbage disposal. It makes me wonder if there is crack in his dog food thoughg, because not only does he always want it, but so does the other dog, and the cat. And what’s great is that no matter how much you give him to eat, he will still go outside and eat bark. Fantastic.


Brinkley's latest magic trick is swimming. On Saturday, I sat in the pool and put him on the first step just to see what he would do. He swam to me. Such a natural. Since then, swimming might be my favorite thing to do with the little guy. He is getting better every time, and becoming more comfortable in the water. Plus his faces are epic. I couldn’t find a way to explain the experience of watching Brinkley swim, so I had the brilliant writer Brandon Mendosa explain:

“Swimming is something that comes naturally to a dog, but to say that Brinkley was tearing effortlessly through the pool like a canine Michael Phelps would be a lie. Like a child taking their first steps, a lot of effort was exerted in exchange for not a lot of movement. Presumably grasping at the ground that wasn't there, Brinkley's rapidly moving legs began to paddle him toward his destination-- me. He bobbed above the water like an ocean buoy with a face and fur, slowly inching his way toward me until finally reaching my outstretched arms and climbing my shoulder, clinging for dear life.”

The aftermath of swimming:



Seriously, magic or no magic involved, the dog is evolving at light speed. Brandon and I go to dinner, get back, and his response is "Oh my God, he has gotten bigger". He is now running without falling in the grass every three seconds. He is finally over being afraid to jump off the couch. Getting on the couch is a different story. And now IF he does have an accident, it's right by the back door. He has learned that I flip out more if it's on carpet. He still has his puppy face, but his hair is changing. He looks like a lion with thin hair all over his body and thicker hair on his neck and face...it's pretty hilarious.

Brinkley is also becoming money conscious. His original crappy McDonald's type dog food that the "babysitter" raised him on was $10 for a huge bag. The same size bag of his new fancy dog food is $50. Brinkley feels bad so now he tries to reassure me he doesn't need new toys. Instead, he will play with the cats old toys, or my favorite, toilet paper rolls.

This week with him has been great but hard. Between Monday and Tuesday I only got to spend 5 hours with the little guy. I understand the parents who hate working late because they only get to spend an hour with their kid before putting it to bed. It's not the guilt, or the fear of them getting used to you being away, but it's that uncontrollable desire to be there, to see everything they do, to not miss anything, and to be there to help shape them.

A woman at my work had a baby a few months ago and I constantly catch her watching the daycare video monitor of her baby in the nursery. She will sit at her desk and eat, while watching the screen the whole time. The baby can't sit up, or do anything really interesting, but her eyes are glued to the screen, to feel some sort of connection, to make sure she isn't missing anything. I get it now.

While Brinkley isn't blood related, he will be the closest thing I have to a baby for a while. And sadly, he is growing at a much quicker speed than one. If I had it my way, I would have maternity leave with him. But if I can't have that, then I am happy to say I now have a full time job with Launch so I can play with him at lunch and spoil him with bones, and treats, and whale toys.

I'll leave you with the most hilarious picture of Brinkley that will haunt him forever. 


 Lots of wet kisses from Brinkley!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment