Friday, August 12, 2011

A Week of Firsts

Tomorrow marks Brinkley and my one week anniversary. We are registered at Petsmart, Petco, Canine Commisionary, and WOOF!.

Besides it being our first week, it was also a week of firsts.

This week was Brinkley's first vet appointment. Can I just say that I have NEVER felt like more of a grown up than at that appointment? I mean Brandon and I were really treated like absolute adults. We even got asked, "Is this your first puppy?". I'm pretty sure he could have figured that out by the stressed and panicked look on my face, but I appreciate him going ahead and amusing me with the question. The actual appointment went well. He got his first check up, his first nail trim, his first poopoo sample (I don't like the word fecal), his first dose of meds through the nose, and also his first round of shots. Brandon was there more for emotional support for me dealing with Brinkley getting shots, especially since he was so distracted by the puppy puffs the assistant was giving him that he didn't even notice that he got a shot at all. While he may have not felt the shot, he did feel the effects. By the time he was in the car, he could barely keep his head up. I regret not taking a video because Brandon was completely accurate by saying that he was the dog version of "David after Dentist". And if you haven't seen the video, then here it is.

David After Dentist....


Brinkley After Vet (by the way, this picture reminds me of the dying sheep in the movie Babe)...



This week was also Brinkley's first time to meet some very important people in his life. After the vet, he met Lady for the first time. My mom and dad love their granddogs very much and have somehow gotten the names "Lady" and "Man". The dogs go see their Lady and Man a lot, and get to play with them. My brother and I have become insanely attached to the names, and plan on forcing out kids to call them Lady and Man as well. Mostly because we find the idea of a 3-year-old boy waving at his grandparents and saying "Hey Lady!" "What's up Man" absolutely hilarious. It was love at first sight for the both of them and I'm looking forward to him joining the puppy family. He will now have his own stocking at christmas just like Nikki, Beau, Max and Major. Being a Lauten puppy also means the responsibility of being in charge of getting every family member underwear, pajamas or socks for each birthday and Christmas. Brinkley says he and Victoria's Secret are going to be BFF.

Brinkley also met his Godmother Becky on Wednesday. She came bearing Pupronni treats and a Petsmart giftcard! Yay for a giftcard to be spent on dog food, chew toys, tennis balls, and a puppy harness! Brinkley of course fell in love with his Godmother and they spent their night watching HGTV and playing with Mr. Lion. He was so excited about her visit, that he barely slept the night before, therefore was tuckered out by 8:30. Luckily, that meant cuddle time for Becky before she had to go home.

The first that receives the "Yay, You're a Golden!" award would be his first time to play fetch. One night, my brother saw Brinkley struggling to get something from under the couch. He seemed frustrated and very determined to get something. My brother looked under the couch and was surprised to see a tennis ball. What was more surprising was Brinkley's desperation to get this lime green ball that he had never seen before. It was almost as if there was a Star Wars type force between Brink and the ball. He become hypnotized by it, and wants to bring it everywhere with him. I started to throw it to see what he would do, and sure enough, he runs clumsily to get it, and brings it back. Hooray for finally finding a way to wear him out while still getting to watch TiVoed Grey's Anatomy episodes!!!

Now that I have mentioned Star Wars, I think I should mention now that anyone and their dog is invited to Brinkley's 1st Birthday Party! Sure, his birthday isn't until June 11th but it's never too early to plan. The theme will be Star Wars. Each dog in attendance must dress up. Brinkley says he claims Hans Solo, mostly because he likes to think he has Harrison Fords golden locks, and dreamy eyes. Don't worry, I'm already figuring out how to make him a blue vest.

Other firsts of the week that don't need to be explained are: first poop in the crate (you're welcome), first walk, first heartworm/flea medicine, first fight with the cat, and first run around the house with my underwear.

If I had to sum up the week in a word it would be exhausting. I don't get sleep as much as I get naps that are broken up by barking, whining, and potty runs outside. My new wake up time is significantly earlier so that we can play before work. My thoughts are interrupted constantly by thinking "where's Brinkley?", "is he eating a leaf, bug, or food?", and "when was the last time he peed?". But with the exhaustion comes unconditional love. It's hard to be unhappy about waking up at 5:30 AM when you have a dog licking your ear. Getting a whiff of his smell while I'm at work makes me smile. And watching him grow and learn gives me the pat on the back I need when I feel defeated. After a week with him, I am nothing but happy with the decision I made, and more excited about the years I get to grow with him.


Because Becky Long requested it (and she gets whatever she wants), here is a strand of photos from the week.


Brinkley says, "How u doing ladies"

Taking advantage of his few weeks of being small....

1 comment:

  1. Becca! I'm so happy for you and Brinkley! We will have to get him to come play with Stelle soon:) Lissa Russell(Ashley's mom)

    ReplyDelete