Monday, August 8, 2011

Finally, My Very Own Show Pony

On Saturday, August 6th, at 3:15 p.m., I laid my eyes on Brinkley for the first time. Since then, it has been hard to take my eyes off of him. The ride to get him was an anxious one, mostly filled with me either saying "oh my gosh", "this is really happening", or Brandon's personal favorite, "my fingers hurt".

It's hard to explain what I mean when I say "my fingers hurt". All I know is it happens when I am super anxious. It happened as Becky and I went through security at DFW on our way to Australia, and also on our last morning in Australia. It doesn't happen before big tests or important interviews. It only happens when my body somehow knows that my life is about to change in a big way. And the arrival of Brinkley Hanx has already been a big change. 

As I kept shaking my hands in the car on the way to Canton, I kept worrying about my decision making process...because, let's be honest....this isn't the most rational thing I've ever done. I wanted a dog. Rational. I looked through newspaper posts and online listings. Rational. I decided which one was perfect based on a picture. Irrational. I agreed to meet the owner halfway in Canton so I could exchange money for puppy without spending time with it before hand. Irrational. This all seemed fine until the drive over, and suddenly I was worried that this decision could suddenly bring more "I told you so" or "You weren't ready" comments in my life. Hence the finger hurting. 

But the hours before the fingers hurting were filled solely with excitement. I woke up way earlier than I needed to, and was instantly ready to get the show on the road. On the agenda that day was helping Brandon clean his old place, and finish moving stuff to his new place. But to prepare for the big day ahead of us was none other than Chickfila breakfast, because seriously, what gets you more pumped about a good day ahead of you more than the Chickfila nuggets covered in honey buttered biscuits?

The food was scarfed down, the cleaning and moving got accomplished at ninja speed, the drive to Terrell was the drive to Terrell, and then time was killed before getting the puppy by coloring with Brandon's niece Katrina. Finally, it was puppy time. 

As Brandon and I exited the highway and pulled into the McDonald's parking lot, things started to seem perfect as Brinkley's ride arrived at the exact same moment. His "babysitter" put him on the ground and what did he do? He peed. Perfect! He knows to take advantage of some green grass when he sees some. The exchange of goods was quite quick, and I have to admit that I think I got the better end of the deal. 

I hurried back to the car before his "babysitter" could change her mind and realize that she was selling the cutest puppy to ever set foot on the planet. Brandon pulled out of the parking lot and Brinkley was ready to get comfortable. Comfortable for Brinkley however was not in my lap. The puppy was on a mission to climb up my body and pretend to be a dead minx to hang around my neck. The two hour drive back was spent with a dog wrapped around my neck. Face on one shoulder, and feet on the other.

Proof:

The past 48 hours with him have been a blur. My goal has been to have him meet a good amount of people and animals, so that he can be a social and outgoing grown dude. His first human interaction besides with Brandon and I was with his neighbors at his apartment. As soon as we opened the door, the oohs and awws began...and they really haven't stopped since then. His Uncle Ryan, Uncle Chris, Aunt Lindsey, Uncle Jesse, Uncle Justin and Grandpa Steve have all given him lots of love. And I really can't blame them, because he is seriously the cutest thing ever. And that comment is completely okay for me to say because I had absolutely no part in creating such a cute living thing. I'm serious though, this puppy is just the epitome of cute puppies. And the good thing is that he is a classic dog. He is the apple pie of dogs. Who doesn't like apple pie?

The compliments haven't even been from just his family either, so you know they aren't just those "oh you're baby is cute (what is wrong with the shape of it's head?!) comments. A lady popped out of nowhere at Petsmart and began to ask questions about him. Brandon's neighbor holds out her hands in front of her whenever she sees the door open, ready to have him in her arms. The drive thru man at Cane's asked me to put Brinkley through the drive-thru window so that he could hold him. A cashier has asked to smell him. He is a huge hit. I have never felt so popular. 

Never have I had so many plans. I guess it's important to admit that they aren't for me, but for Brinkley, but still. This week he has Brandon come playing with him tomorrow afternoon before his vet visit. Wednesday, his godmother Becky is coming all the way from Fort Worth to meet him. Sunday he has a play date with a co-workers dog. Who knows what else is going to fill his schedule. 

As of now, I am trying to soak up everything Brinkley. The puppy smell, the little nibbles on the ear, and my personal favorite, the little noises he makes when you cuddle him against your chest. It is the most heavenly noise. My fingers are crossed that he will make that noise the rest of his life, but just in case I think I'm going to try and put a tape recorder on him so that I can have it forever. 

Since I can't stop him from growing up, I will just have to take hundreds of photos of him so that I can look back and see how much he has grown and how fast he managed to do it. Lucky for you, I am posting them on here so you can experience the amazingness of the cutest puppy on Earth with me. 

Exhibits A & B of the cutest puppy ever:




No comments:

Post a Comment