Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Major Help

The dog is out of control. Not in a bad way but in a “wow, you really don’t run out of energy do you?” kind of way. He isn’t running away, or chewing on things he shouldn’t, or doing anything horrible. Okay…. He peed on my bed….twice….that was bad. But besides that, the dog just has more energy than he or I know what to do with. Bye Social Life (the little bit I had left), I’ve got to go make my dog tired!

Here is a list of things I have been trying as tools to tire Brinkley. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  • Walk A: Standing still while Brinkley continually attempts to attack his leash
  • Walk B: Dragging Brinkley in the grass behind me on a walk while he plays tug of war on the other end of his leash.
  • Walk C: We both actually walk, but he has the leash in his mouth.
  • Laser Tag: Having Brinkley chase the laser pointer around in the back yard at night. Amusement time before giving up? 2 minutes.
  • Tug of War: This could last as long as you want it to, and as long as you can stand his pathetic growl. Not the most effective at wearing him out, but does some damage to his energy level for sure.
  • Fetch: You may get one or two good runs out of him before he is distracted by a blade of grass or bark..
  • Swimming: The second most successful tool. Put him in the pool (obviously supervised with someone else in the pool) and tell him to do a lap. He will swim in a big circle then sit on the pool step.


If all of this fails to reduce his energy level, then I bring out my secret weapon, the most successful tool of them all.  I bring out the big guns. Major.




This is major. 55 pounds of Boxer. He is my brother’s dog, and my saving grace when I am exhausted and can’t handle hyper Brinkley. Major is four years old, and the best word to describe him is…..lovey. He will sit in your lap if you’ll let him. He would kiss your face with his slobbery mouth all day long if he could. He would hang out in your fanny pack all day every day, if he could fit, and if you were into that kind of thing.

While I typically give major a hard time for wiping his thick, bits of food filled drool on my pants during my lunch break, I honestly love him to death.

Major has more patience for Brinkley than anyone else. Brinkley uses major as his personal chew toy and Major sits there happily. Brinkley will sit on top of Major’s face and he will sit there happily. Brinkley will bite at Major’s jowls and ankles and Major will sit there happily.

Major is not only patient, but basically Brinkley’s babysitter. He will consistently play and wrestle with Brinkley until Brinkley is worn out. And just like a babysitter, Major usually lets the little kid win.

So let’s all give Major a round of applause, silent rally towel, snaps, a bow, and a whoop whoop!! Thanks Major!

No comments:

Post a Comment