Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloweenies

I’ve never been a big Halloween person. Your costume is either lame, time consuming or expensive and I’m not a fan of any of those things. I became more of a fan of Halloween when Brinkley came into my life and I could dress him for the same price as a child since they are nearly the same size.

Brinkley spent his first Halloween acting like a bronco. Video and pictures here:




The lesson I learned from Halloween 2011? Brinkley doesn’t like things on his head.

Halloween 2012 came around the corner REAL fast. My boyfriend, Brandon, mentioned that Target had dog costumes for a Wide Retriever and a Rufferee. This made perfect sense for Brinkley who is a golden and Ein who is a hound who makes too much noise. It was also cute because it would basically be a couples costume for them which I LOVE but Brandon refuses to do for us. These shirts were $7 and seemed like such a simple and inexpensive solution.

Mission Find Wide Retriever and Rufferee Costumes (Mission FWRARC) began.

Target 1: We found a medium of the Rufferee costume. Ein is still a puppy so that should work. Check. Wide Retrievers costumes out of stock.

Target 2: Large and XL Wide Retriever costumes out of stock.

(P.S. This is where a normal person would have given up.)

A pit stop was taken to get some lunch and for Ein to try on his costume. Yep. Too Small. It is now noted that Ein is not at small as we think. Will he ever be Brinkley’s size? No. Will he ever be small? No.

Target 3: Neither a Large of the Rufferee or an XL of the Wide Retriever costume were in stock.

Target 4: Neither in stock. Mission FWRARC failed. We decided to see what other dog costumes were in stock. We settled with Ein being a hot dog since he is a complete hog when it comes to food. It also fit his silly personality. For Brinkley? I had a sad “whatever, this will work” moment and grabbed a shark costume. Why? Because he likes to swim. I know, it’s a stretch.

We went home to try out the dog costumes. Ein’s worked wonderfully. Brinkley’s XL Shark Costume was too short on his body and then there was one of those “this doesn’t look nearly as good as the picture” moments.

Which reminds me of….


My Halloween enthusiasm was gone.

(Insert sad part of movie where people are alone and trying to find out life's meaning.)

A week before Halloween, I was at a Target picking up a few things and walked by an isle with all the dog costumes. Shining right in the middle of the display was an XL Wide Retriever costume. Cue angels singing.

Being a completely logical person, I immediately disregarded the fact that I had already spent $7 on a Rufferee costume that didn’t fit and $12 on a shark costume I was unimpressed with. I snatched the XL and walked merrily to check out.

I received a text from my brother that he wanted to have a Halloweenie Bash for all the dogs to show off their costumes on the 31st. This made me feel better about my waste of money. At least there would be a “legitimate” reason for Brinkley to wear his shirt.

Overall, Halloween wasn’t bad. I didn’t buy an expensive costume, or spend a lot of time on something I’d only wear once. That probably puts me in the “lame” category but at least the dogs were cool.

Note: On November 1st, Brandon came up with the best costume for Ein. Yep, he came up with the perfect costume the day after Halloween. So now you have 364 days to prepare for FRANKEN-EIN!

Pictures below of the Halloweenie bash.










3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Cute doggies pics! I came across your post when searching myself for an XL wide retriever costume because there seem to be none left in the whole world! So I can definitely identify with your frustration. I'm still looking for one for my golden retriever Dexter to wear this year. I'm writing you to see if you'd be willing to part with yours. Remember the feeling when you finally found that one in XL? That's the feeling I so desperately want. I already have the ruffery costume for my beagle Charlie and this would fit perfectly. I would very much appreciate your help in this matter if you still own the costume. You can reach me through email at daisy8698@yahoo.com.

    Thank you,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sale costume for dogs on this website Http://www.bcdpets.com they offer costume for all size dogs

    ReplyDelete