Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ein: Part Dog, Part Cheetah.


A lot of mystery comes with adopting a shelter dog. A lot of the questions I have about Ein, our shelter dog, are probably the same questions I would have if I adopted a child. Where did they come from? What is their breed/ethnicity? How old are they? What’s their story? Do they have any health problems? Are there any healthy problems I should look out for? Are they allergic to anything?

While I would hope that an adoption agency, hospital or biological mother would know these answers, the animal shelter definitely didn’t.  It didn’t change Brandon’s or my mind about Ein at all. But while I am still determined to figure out some of these answers, I feel like Brandon might enjoy some of the mystery. Why? I think I actually know that answer already.

My boyfriend, Brandon, was adopted when he was a few months old. His mom decided to adopt him because she thought he looked like her husband. To this day, Brandon does look like his dad, despite a big difference in height. Brandon’s mom adopted him without knowing all the answers. She saw a familiar face in the baby and that’s all she needed. I’d like to think Brandon felt the same way about Ein. He didn’t need to know how old he was, or what caused his face to get so infected. Brandon didn’t even need to know what breed Ein was. Brandon related to this little dogs story and that was all he needed.

Ein has been ours for a few months now and we’ve gotten some answers. We figured out a rough age based on his teeth. We’ve come to find out that Ein is allergic to chicken. For the first week we had Ein, he would make this hilarious but pathetic noise. It sounded like he had a hairball. He would make the noise constantly. His skin would be pink all the time. After about a week, I remembered that my brothers girlfriend, Libby, had mentioned that her lab was allergic to chicken. I tried to imitate the noise Ein would make at work and found out he was reverse sneezing. It took me a while, but I put two and two together and picked up some lamb-based food for Ein to eat. Bingo. No more reverse sneezing or pink skin. You can call me Sherlock Holmes. I don’t mind.

There is still one question that Brandon and I have yet to figure out an answer to that is KILLING me. What the heck is Ein?! When anyone asks, Brandon’s response is “part dog, part cheetah”. I somewhat don’t doubt it because this dog is the fastest animal I’ve ever witnessed running.

In an effort to keep my Sherlock Holmes name, I’ve continued to keep my eye on Ein to see if any clues come up. 

Note: I know there are tests to get this answered BUT 1. I’m cheap and 2. I don’t get to keep my Sherlock Holmes title if I don’t figure this out on my own.

The shelter labeled Ein as a Golden/Lab mix. Okay, kind of. He has some Golden Retriever or Labrador in him for sure. But what else?

Clue #1: Ein is vocal. He voices every emotion he has. If he’s acting fierce while playing, you’ll know it. If he want’s to eat dinner, you’ll know it. If he’s yawning, you’ll know it. And if he wants out of his crate, you’ll REALLY know it. Hounds are known for being vocal. Noted.

Clue #2: Ein has a white tip on his tail. Hounds have white tips on their tail. Noted.

Clue #3: Ein is freakishly fast. I’m not saying that he’s a good runner. I’m saying that he has chased down wasps and squirrels before. True story. Some types of hounds are fast. Noted.

Clue #4: Ein looks like an AT-AT. Seriously, it’s uncanny. He has these long legs and this small head. What breed is known for having a small head while still being fast? Greyhounds. Now we’re going somewhere.

I googled Lab-Greyhound mix and after doing some comparing, I think this case is closed.

Comparison 1: EARS

Both Ein and this other Lab-Greyhound mix have these quirky ears. They aren't flat, and they fold a bit awkwardly.




Comparison 2: SMALL, BEADY EYES

Both Ein and the Lab-Greyhound below have small, yet adorable little black eyes. 



Comparison 3: AWKWARD LAYING 

Okay, I'm half kidding on this comparison. But still.
This photo isn't a "rare opportunity" thing. This is how Ein sleeps. All the time.



COMPARISON 4: SMILES 

No comment needed. Just two happy pups.



Comparison 5: LONG PROFILE

Both Ein and this Lab-Greyhound Mix have similar profiles. 



Comparison 6: LOVE OF GOLDEN RETRIEVERS

Lab-Greyhounds love their Goldens. Just sayin'.




Comparison 7: PROOF

When looking at this picture of Ein and Lab-Greyhound Mix, it's like looking at Ein and future Ein. Both have quirky ears, black beady eyes, a beautiful blond coat, dark black noses, skinny heads, and essentially the same exact expression on their faces. Proof, I tell ya.



In the end, regardless if Ein is part greyhound, part lab, part pug, part cheetah or part alien, we will love him for the ridiculous, animated, dramatic dog that he is. 

2 comments:

  1. Ive got a yel lab that I also believe is greyhound mix. His name is logan. He looks identical to your doggie. Id love to send you a pic. My email is daniel@dglewisconstruction.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rescue dog who I believe is Labrador X Greyhound but I also think there is something else in the mix. Her name is Indy and she has all the characteristics you mention. In addition she is the friendliest, most loving, mischievous, cute, loyal dog I have ever known. She is well and truly loved!!

    ReplyDelete